Currently I am writing for magazines in the poultry, beef, and pork sector and getting a big kick out of that. I am also doing daily news coverage for www.meatingplace.com, an email news service for the industry. It’s fun to be on the “other side” for a change. I cut my teeth as a reporter quite a while ago, and the technology has of course changed enormously, but the basic skills of asking questions and writing stories are much the same. If you want the details, here’s my resume, and if you want to say hello, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. See me on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardlobb
Richard Lobb Performance Profile
Expert writer and public relations executive; long experience as contract writer; skilled in turning information on complex subjects into engaging, readable and publishable articles. Well-developed journalistic skills in interviewing newsmakers and sources; expert at online and traditional research.
Trade Publications — Contributing Editor — 2011-present
Contributing editor to Meatingplace In Print Magazine; Meat & Poultry Magazine; and Watt PoultryUSA magazine. Also contribute to daily news report of www.meatingplace.com
Published author with 12 entries, comprising almost 30 pages in the Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (New York: Scribner’s, 2003)
National Chicken Council — Director of Communications — 1998-2011
Initiated in-house PR function and reported to CEO of the major trade association for the $35 billion chicken production, processing, and marketing industry. Responsible for improving the industry’s image with the media, policy-makers and the public.
Expertise as Association and Industry Spokesperson
• Articulate and successful in media encounters on variety of legal, political, technical, and scientific issues
• Featured in the movie “Food, Inc.,” advocating modern production and processing
• Appeared on “Colbert Report” (http://tinyurl.com/Lobb-wings) to assure public of plentiful supply of chicken wings for Super Bowl
• Worked closely with scientists on their media encounters on key scientific and technical issues
Crisis and Issues Management
• Led communications program that restored public confidence and prevented loss of sales to the poultry industry despite international epidemic of Avian Influenza.
— Expertise as crisis manager was recognized by The Wall Street Journal (“‛Merchant of Drumsticks’ Aims To Allay Chicken-Flu Fears,” May 4, 2006)
Media Relations Expert
• Established long-term relationships of trust with key journalists
• Wrote speeches, magazine pieces, op-eds, and letters to the editor for industry leaders and regular trade magazine column for association president
Social Media Capability
• Led association’s move into social media with coordinated, multi-platform presence including Facebook, Twitter and news blog; Facebook page has more than 66,000 “likes,” most by far among industry segment
• Designed and implemented a grassroots government relations program that generated 5,000 comments on regulatory matter and helped persuade government to rework regulation
• As in-house journalist, kept industry informed on issues and developments in Washington through weekly newsletter, bulletins, and timely updates to blogs, websites and social media
Fleishman-Hillard — Vice President — 1989-1998
Promoted to vice president in Washington office of this major public relations firm.
• Worked on-site with clients to communicate their messages effectively
DCM Group — Account Supervisor — 1980-1989
Worked primarily with both incumbent and non-incumbent candidates for Congress and statewide office at this Virginia-based political consulting and public affairs firm
Journalism and politics
Served as press secretary, communications staffer, or communications director for several candidates and political organizations, 1974-1979 Reporter, United Press International, Richmond, Virginia, 1972-1974
George Mason University Fairfax, Virginia 1983-1986 Bachelor’s degree in Political Analysis
Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond, Virginia 1970-1974 Majored in journalism; first president of VCU Sigma Delta Chi journalism society